For Friends and Family: Help Women Experiencing an Unplanned Pregnancy
If you know of a friend of family member who is experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, your support and understanding during this challenging time is very important. Below are a few suggestions for how you can be there for help and support.
- First and foremost, listen. Give your pregnant friend or relative an opportunity to talk about how they’re feeling about their unplanned pregnancy.
- Do not judge her unplanned pregnancy or her actions.
- Tell her that you will help her, support her and be there for her every step of the way. Sometimes just hearing that you’re not alone makes a big difference.
- When she starts to discuss her pregnancy options, simply ask her if she’s considered adoption.
- Many people do not completely understand the adoption process or they have misconceptions about it, so if your friend or relative would like to learn more, suggest that she call an adoption agency. You can recommend that she can speak to or email a St. Mary’s counselor confidentially or simply read the St. Mary’s Maternity Brochure to learn more about adoption.