Following our mission, St. Mary’s takes great pride in finding loving, stable and safe homes for children. We work with prospective adoptive couples and singles of many different backgrounds to ensure that every child placed for adoption through St. Mary’s has a good home. All applicants must be at least 23 years of age and demonstrate a healthy lifestyle. Applicants who are accepted to St. Mary’s adoption program are required to participate in ongoing adoption education, complete all adoption and legal paperwork, complete the required home study process, and adhere to agreed-upon birth parent correspondence. It is important to remember that the birth parents make the final decision about with whom the infant is placed for adoption. At St. Mary’s Services, we provide guidance and support to everyone in the adoption triad – birth parents, adoptive parents and adoptees. Please speak with one of our adoption counselors to learn more.
Below are the most basic requirements to be accepted into a St. Mary’s Services’ Adoption Program:
- Single or Married Couples
- If married, you must have been married for at least 2 years and demonstrate marital stability
- We do not accept unmarried couples that are co-habitating together.
- Must be between the ages of 23 and 45 (if single)
- If married, only one individual needs to fall in between the above age range
- Resident of Illinois
- Be able to successfully meet all home study requirements